The Venango County Mental Health and Developmental Services (MHDS) Department manages all public funding (Federal, State, and County) that comes to the county to provide mental health, intellectual disabilities, and early intervention services to qualifying individuals, and provides oversight for the mental health component of the Health Choices program. Pursuant to the Mental Health and Mental Retardation Act of 1966, its purpose is to make a range of services available to persons who are mentally ill, intellectually disabled, or developmentally delayed so that they will receive a comprehensive treatment program through a continuum of care in their own communities, and, whenever possible, while they remain in their own homes. The Department is regulated by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare through the Office of Developmental Programs, Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, and the Office of Child Development and Early Learning.
- MHDS is Part of Venango County Government
- because Venango County MHDS follows an “administrative model,” the vast majority of services are provided by community non-profit and other service organizations via contract.
- The only services provided directly by MHDS are case management/service coordination, crisis intervention and disaster coordination.
- The “Base Service Unit and/or Supports Coordination Organization are the names given by the State for the MHDS service units that provide intake and case management services to county residents.
- Service Development
- Program/Service/Facility Evaluation
- Needs Assessment
- Development of Annual Plans and Budgets
- Fiscal Management
- Contract Development and Management
- Implementation of State Initiatives
- Report of service delivery and expenditure data
- Quality Management/Improvement
Case Management/Supports Coordination (MR, ID, EI):
- Service intake
- Service assessment
- Service linkage
- Service Monitoring
- Consumer advocacy
Mental Health Crisis Intervention:
- 24/7 assessment/intervention in mental health emergency situations
Mental Health Disaster Coordination:
- Plan Development
- Mobilization and Coordination during emergencies