- You Are Here:
- Human Services
- Children & Families
- Effective Safe Parenting
Effective Safe Parenting
Effective Safe Parenting (ESP) is a program designed to help the family reunify with their children and maintain a substance-free lifestyle. The Effective Safe Parenting Program is available to families who are receiving services through Venango County Children, Youth and Family Services (CYFS).
Average Length of Service
Varies, dependent on assessed need.
Frequency & Location of Contacts
Frequency varies, and contacts can occur in the home, community, or office.
Effective Safe Parenting is available to all families with children identified by the child welfare system and affected by substance abuse.
Family Service & Children's Aid Society of Venango County
150 Prospect Avenue
Franklin, PA 16323
The ESP program has three distinct team members who provide the services to the families:
- A Social Worker
- A Parent Educator
- A Community Nurse
Each ESP team member partners with the family to provide a safe and stable environment for their children by supporting the parents in achieving a substance-free lifestyle. ESP participants can expect support from the team through individual, family, and group services offered within the family’s home and in the community.
Services may include:
- Identifying the family strengths and support systems
- Providing home-based clinical and case management services to help families ensure basic needs are being met (food, housing, clothing, transportation, etc.)
- Assessing family counseling and treatment needs for emotional health and physical health of each family member
- Coaching on effective safe parenting techniques
- Assisting the family in the development of a community recovery support system
Eligibility for ESP services:
Families interested in receiving Effective Safe Parenting Services must:
- Be referred through Venango County Children, Youth & Family Services.
- Have or had an identified substance abuse problem.
- Have children of any age — ESP prioritizes high-risk infant cases and pregnant mothers.
- Have their children in their home or if in placement, reunification must be the goal.
The History of ESP:
ESP originated from Project Connect in Rhode Island due to the overwhelming success in the Rhode Island communities. An independent evaluation showed that in Rhode Island 45% of children whose families were serviced by Project Connect were reunited after an average of five months. Of families who did not participate, only 18% of children were reunited after 10 months.
For additional information on the Effective Safe Parenting program, contact the Franklin office at 814-432-3466.